Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Supergirl 34 solicitation news


October solicits for DC came out on 7/21 and included the much anticipated Supergirl 34, the first issue from the new team of writer Sterling Gates, artist Jamal Igle, and cover artist Josh Middleton.

Here is the official description:

Written by Sterling Gates; Art by Jamal Igle and Keith Champagne; Cover by Josh Middleton; Variant cover by Fernando Pasarin

Beginning the new direction for SUPERGIRL, which will tie the book and character firmly into the Superman franchise!

Hmmm … a bit sparse in the description don’t you think? From prior interviews, we know that this issue includes the beginning of Cat Grant’s role as foil for Supergirl, starting with the release of Grant’s anti-Supergirl editorial. We also know that Supergirl has a confrontation with Silver Banshee.

But instead of hearing about those things, we get this one line description about how the title will be part of the Superman franchise. Nothing about Kara herself or the story is commented on. If DC is hoping to bring in new readers with this issue, shouldn’t they talk about the story? I can only hope the description expands as the we approach the release date.

What is noteworthy in this solicit is that there is a variant cover for the issue which may drum up some extra business. (Remember, there was a Kubert variant for issue 23, Puckett’s first issue.) I thought for sure the cover would be this Igle art which was released when he was announced as artist.


Instead, we get a variant cover from Fernando Pasarin.

Now I have to say that I very much like what little I have seen of Pasarin. He has done a number of fill-in issues for Dale Eaglesham on the JSA title and his art is pretty polished. He has a fine-line approach and draws young women in a nice way. No overt sexiness, no overwhelming curves, no over stylization … just healthy beautiful women. He draws nice expressive faces too. Here are a few panels from Justice Society issues 5 and 8 featuring Star Girl and Cyclone, Dream Girl, and Liberty Belle.



I like how the bodies of Star Girl and Cyclone (teenagers) look different than Dream Girl and Liberty Belle (in their twenties), and even within these age groups there are differences. I say this only because there are some artists (Ed Benes comes to mind) who seem to have one body habitus for all women … super-curvy. So, I firmly believe Pasarin is going to do a great Supergirl.

Still, I was hoping that DC would have a variant cover from Igle or another ‘big name’ artist to stoke the fandom flames. I mean, wouldn’t a Gary Frank variant be spectacular as well as showcase the linkage to the super-titles? Or an Alex Ross cover? Or a Mark Bagley cover? This is not meant to disparage Pasarin's art, which again I very much like. I am thinking more in terms of what will boost sales and increase interest.

3 more months to wait. I am so excited about this.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just want to say I've been lurking for a while and love the blog!

Have you seen this from Geoff Johns about the Gates run and how Supergirl will fit into the other Super books? I'm really stoked about it!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=17359

Anj said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anj said...

Just want to say I've been lurking for a while and love the blog!

Have you seen this from Geoff Johns about the Gates run and how Supergirl will fit into the other Super books? I'm really stoked about it!


Thanks so much for the post and for supporting the blog! I am glad you are enjoying it; I am having a blast doing it.

Believe it or not I was going to discuss the CBR piece tomorrow. You'll get my take then.

Thanks again for visiting!

Heath Edwards said...

it is interesting that they didn't go with igle on the variant, as it would've given people a taste of the inside art... maybe they'll go with a different artist for covers, as they are with the alex ross covers on 'superman'...
am looking forward to this 'new beginning'...

Anj said...

it is interesting that they didn't go with igle on the variant, as it would've given people a taste of the inside art... maybe they'll go with a different artist for covers, as they are with the alex ross covers on 'superman'...

I like the idea of Middleton doing the issue covers. His style skirts the borders of manga-like which might actually attract some readers.

Ah ... I can remember being a little kid and deciding what comic to buy at local convenience store based on which cover looked cool.

But I do agree not going with Igle for the variant is strange. Still I think Pasarin is going to a great job!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Anj, the skirt is a little Manga styled.

Anj said...

I agree with Anj, the skirt is a little Manga styled.

Thanks for the post.

Middleton's art all have a japanese animation feel to them. His New Mutants and Nyx stuff for Marvel are good examples.

I think stylized covers do attract attention. And given the space devoted to Manga in my local Comic Book Store, there is an appetite for that genre.

This first cover itself is spectacular, with the action jumping right off the page.