Saturday, January 10, 2009

Superwoman Sighting


Superwoman gets some publicity in this month's Wizard, showcased as their Character To Watch.

Sterling Gates talks about Superwoman saying that "part of the importance of New Krypton is re-establishing the Superman universe". That includes dusting off some older ideas and characters like Superwoman.

Gates re-iterates that Superwoman is a 'friend to the House of El'. But the rest of her story - who she is and why she has the right to wear the crest - is still a mystery. Any new guesses?


Gates also says that Kara's relationship with Alura will also be part of the Superwoman storyline. I am glad that some focus is being brought to the relationship, given how strained it has become and how important it is to the character of Supergirl. It wouldn't make sense for it to be simply swept under the rug. But "she wil be a major player in Supergirl's life as long as I'm on the book"??

I hope she is not a physical presence in the book. I think Supergirl will need some space from her mother to continue to grow as a person. I think her mother would be too much of a domineering force to let Kara grow naturally. My guess is Alura will be on the New Krypton planet, wherever that may be and her presence will be more distant.

Of course it is great that the book continues to get publicity like this. I cannot imagine Wizard devoting even a sidebar article to the title prior to the Gates/Igle reboot.

8 comments:

Heath Edwards said...

there's an interview, at cbr, with the 'new krypton' book coming out, where he mentions that alura will be on new krypton, and superman has to deal with her... so, i guess that may knock alura out of the running to be superwoman...

Jason said...

This is definitely more good and interesting news. I'm psyched Supergirl is getting this press too. Heath...I read that interview too. The settling of the Kryptonians on some new planet sounds like an interesting premise. It does make me wonder how that interview definitely stated Alura would be on the new New Krypton but then Gates states she'll remain a presence in the Supergirl book. Maybe Anj is right in that she'll be a distant presence but she'll still be felt. I still think it could prove very interesting if Alura remains on as one of Supergirl's villains.

Anonymous said...

I got it, Jimmy Olsen!
Hey he had some cross-dressing adventures back in the day...if anyone could fake super powers i'd be him and he IS the last person anyone would suspect.

John Feer

Anj said...

so, i guess that may knock alura out of the running to be superwoman...

Thanks for the post.

I agree ... she's not Alura.

Hmmmmm

Anj said...

The settling of the Kryptonians on some new planet sounds like an interesting premise. It does make me wonder how that interview definitely stated Alura would be on the new New Krypton but then Gates states she'll remain a presence in the Supergirl book. Maybe Anj is right in that she'll be a distant presence but she'll still be felt. I still think it could prove very interesting if Alura remains on as one of Supergirl's villains.

Thanks for the post.

I will probably run a post about the CBR interview on Monday. Lot's of Supergirl stuff in there.

It still doesn't sit right that Alura is the villain. I wonder how she will stay part of Supergirl's life.

Anj said...

I got it, Jimmy Olsen!
Hey he had some cross-dressing adventures back in the day...if anyone could fake super powers i'd be him and he IS the last person anyone would suspect.


Thanks for the post and the belly laugh!

He *is* a friend of the House of El.

If Jimmy Olsen is Superwoman, I will stop reading!

Anonymous said...

Heh, I think Kristin Wells would be too embarrassed to acknowledge him being her ancestor after that pulled stunt. :P

But in all seriousness here though (or at least as serious as one can be when talking about the Superhero comic medium) my money is still on Superwoman turning out to be the actual Science Police's very own Caucasian, brown hair, blue eyed (the EXACT physical feature description of Superwoman's profile) "Rachel" who interviewed Agent Liberty, for I think she is a secret double agent playing both Kandor AND Earth all at the same time. And because she helms from Kandor and is working for Alura that's how the whole "friend to house of El" part fits in n the end too.

But again, these are just my own beliefs as to the real identity of our Superwoman and as to HOW exactly she could be considered a so called "friend of the house of El" fits in at the end of the day.

I'm sorry but I still can't imagine Thara Ak-Var being revealed to be Superwoman because it would be too obvious of a route for Johns, Robinson and Gates to take in my honest opinion. Especially after the way she had greeted Supergirl (the supposed child hood good friends) after their reunion.

Anonymous said...

Apologies for the off topic post, but Best Buy has every season of Smallville on sale this week for $19.99 each. This includes Season 7 with the Supergirl documentary.