Saturday, June 20, 2009

Landry Walker and Eric Jones on Batman:The Brave And The Bold


Fans of Supergirl:Cosmic Adventures In The Eighth Grade will be happy to hear that Landry Walker and Eric Jones have been given the reins of Batman:The Brave and the Bold DC kids book! Here is a link to Walker's blog discussing the assignment and its origin:
http://xray-studios.livejournal.com/48928.html

Here is a blurb from that post where Walker talks about the tone of the book.

Our intention with this series is to capture the feel of the cartoon rather than literally interpret the style of the animated series onto a comic book page. Comics and animation are two very distinct (even if related) mediums, and neither wholly translates into the other. We're a bit past our first issue now, and I'm very happy with the result of this approach.

To be honest, I have enjoyed the cartoon more than I thought I would. The 'Dick Sprang' style art is not as jarring as I thought it would be. And the show has included a lot of minor characters from the DCU (which is always welcomed) as well as a boatload of Easter Eggs for us old-timers. You may remember my post on the show's homage to Streaky. So I am interested in seeing what Walker/Jones come up with.

As for this book, I asked Walker about the chances of Supergirl being the guest star and here was his response.

Supergirl as a guest star: Hopefully in the near future. I certainly have a story in mind. In the meantime, some other elements of Cosmic Adventures will trickle in to the stories sooner rather than later. Minor elements, but elements nonetheless.

Well, I would be absolutely giddy to see a Supergirl/Batman team-up. I loved Cosmic Adventures and continue to hope that a sequel happens. In the meantime, throw us rabid fans a bone and have Kara as a guest star!

The first Walker/Jones Brave and Bold issue is solicited for September 30. Here is the DC site's description of the issue:

Batman teams up with a mysterious figure to stop the Penguin and The Riddler, but is this anti-hero a friend or a foe? Be here for all of the cataclysmic catastrophes in "The Tale of the Catman!"

The supergirls at home also loved Cosmic Adventures and watch the Brave and the Bold show so I will be sure to pick up these issues.

6 comments:

Nikki said...

excellent,I'm glad their sticking in the DCU. I like the TV show, I don't particularly like Batman but Aquaman, blur beetle and booster were great

TalOs said...

My sincerest heartfelt congrats go out to Landry on landing the gig! Bravo dude! :D

As for this book, I asked Walker about the chances of Supergirl being the guest star and here was his response.

Supergirl as a guest star: Hopefully in the near future. I certainly have a story in mind. In the meantime, some other elements of Cosmic Adventures will trickle in to the stories sooner rather than later. Minor elements, but elements nonetheless.

Well, I would be absolutely giddy to see a Supergirl/Batman team-up. I loved Cosmic Adventures and continue to hope that a sequel happens. In the meantime, throw us rabid fans a bone and have Kara as a guest star!

HEAR, HEAR, Anj! :D

Knowing our luck though DC will probably insist on having Superman appear long BEFORE Supergirl does.

Gene said...

I am very happy that DC decided to continue to utilize Landry's and Eric's talents. I wonder if they could introduce Batgirl into the comic, and then we could see a team up with her and Supergirl...

TalOs said...

My sincerest heartfelt congrats go out to Landry AND Eric on landing the gig! :D

Sorry about that, Eric.

Anonymous said...

Kudos to Eric and Landry! It would be a shame if DC does not let this great team create a sequel to Cosmic Adventures. At least the young super-heores in the house have something to look forward to this fall.

Scott

Anonymous said...

Imagine a B&B Batman Supergirl team up...Except she has a serious crush on the Caped Crusader (no that is creepy) hmmmmm Robin the Boy Wonder....yeah HIM!

Great plot possibilities there sez I.

John Feer