Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Sensor Girl And Quislet

Every so often I get reminded just how old I am as a comics reader. Maybe old is too pejorative a term. Maybe I should say distinguished. I have never hidden the fact that I am 39 years old (with the big 4-0 looming just a few months away).

Basically, I realized that Sensor Girl and Quislet are being re-introduced to the comic public. They were introduced way back in 1985. That's 25 years ago!! And they were only 'around' for a handful of years after that.

So after I complained about the 'new' costume for Sensor Girl and the potential 'new' powers and armaments for Quislet, I realized that some people may not know the 'old' costume or powers. Plus, I promised I would do some research on the characters, reacquainting myself with them.

And so, here are some Who's Who pages on the characters. These entries were more comprehensive and detailed than the entries in the Who's Who in the Legion mini-series which was published after the general DCU directory.

The Sensor Girl page was drawn by Steve Lightle, one of my favorite artists, who had a brief but memorable stint on the Legion. I just love that original costume design.

And, as I recalled, outside of her illusion powers, Sensor Girl also had the vague ability to 'see through the illusions of the world' giving her super-senses. (It is scary that that phrase somehow stuck in my mind more than 2 decades later.)

Also, when Sensor Girl was first introduced, her identity was a mystery. In fact, some Legionnaires (especially Brainy) thought she was Supergirl. Here is a link to my 'back issue' review of one of the issues that explored that mystery:
http://comicboxcommentary.blogspot.com/2008/08/it-came-from-back-issue-box-legion-of.html


So some elements of the original costume are kept here, but I still think the original is much more striking. For some reason, I really dislike that I can see her eyes. I prefer the white 'spidey eyes' much much more.

As for Quislet, here is his page from the Who's Who Update '88.

Quislet could leave his ship and entire nonorganic objects and animate them. As I thought, at least back then, he could only stay in an object like that for a short time before the object unraveled at a molecular level. Since he was able to maintain his disguise as a Science Police HoverCam for a prolonged period of time in recent issues, I have to assume his powers have been changed slightly.

Hope this trip down memory lane was helpful. I definitely liked looking at Lightle's art again. The layout of the Sensor Girl page is great.

9 comments:

TalOs said...

Projectra (or "Jecci" as us LSH fans call her) has always been one of my all time fave LSH members and I wasn't none to happy come Post-Zero Hour DCU continuity wise when Waid reintroduced her in the form of a literal over grown snake (who we later nick named "Snekci") instead of bringing her back proper and either going by "Princess Projectra" or "Sensor Girl" but he rectified this in his 2nd attempt at a LSH reboot, how ever, it wasn't till Post-IC DCU continuity in Geoff's "Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes" arc did we get back Projectra as Sensor Girl proper which unfortunately came at the price of having to loose Val her loving husband and former LSH member himself during "Legion of 3 Worlds" arc later on though.
Anj: I think Post-IC DCU "New Earth/E-0" continuity version's revamped look is meant to be a nod to her late "Princess Projectra" era (where she has a REAL plunging neck line and a crown symbol near very top of each of her boots) as well as her first "Sensor Girl" one to come up with this hybrid of the 2 looks now being sported. :-)

TalOs said...

Ugh, man I really hate having to rely on the Wii to type nowadays.

Bubbly Bunny said...

I think the high boots, plunging neck line, and eye holes get me to they are so unnecessary. I mean if they want to change her costume they could revamp it. Like less loose gloves and the boots could be tighter also so they aren't piraty. Sigh* this makes me wonder when Supergirl will get a new costume. In my opinion it should be like how the Pre-Crisis Kara changed costume. When she was young and new to Earth she wore the blue dress. When she got older and wanted to find her own way away from Clark she wore her hot pants and then when she had fully matured she wore the headband costume. That should be what Kara does. First thing after New Krypton her and Lana should make-up and then design a new costume together. What do u think Kara should wear Anj? Also on a side note thanks to your reviews and reading Supergirl on my own i was able to update Kara's DC Wikia page and add in all the pictures. Here's the link:
http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Kara_Zor-El_(New_Earth)

Unknown said...

Sensor was meant to be 'Supergirl'since the writer at the time on LOSH wantd to have her alive and well in the 31 century, but hte editor(s) told him to stop.

The dead of Supergirl was a big blow on Legion continuity and that's why 'Andromeda' was made as a 'Supergirl replacement' when inrtoduced.


Sensor girl did appear before on JLA when some Legionaries were on the 20 century.

Gene said...

Great job with Supergirl's DC Wiki page Bubbly Bunny! Well done.

Bubbly Bunny said...

Thanx Gene

Anj said...

What do u think Kara should wear Anj? Also on a side note thanks to your reviews and reading Supergirl on my own i was able to update Kara's DC Wikia page and add in all the pictures. Here's the link:
http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Kara_Zor-El_(New_Earth)


I have always said the Matrix style uniform. Always.

And very nice job on the Wiki page. Very slick!

Anj said...

I think Post-IC DCU "New Earth/E-0" continuity version's revamped look is meant to be a nod to her late "Princess Projectra" era (where she has a REAL plunging neck line and a crown symbol near very top of each of her boots) as well as her first "Sensor Girl" one to come up with this hybrid of the 2 looks now being sported. :-)

I can see that.

I still doesn't work for me though.

Anj said...

The dead of Supergirl was a big blow on Legion continuity and that's why 'Andromeda' was made as a 'Supergirl replacement' when inrtoduced.

I think she also sort of filled the spot Mon-El vacated when he was erased from continuity too.

I liked Laurel Gand.