Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Spencer Interview On CBR


Over on Comic Book Resources, they recently posted an interview with Nick Spencer that was done at the NYCC way back in October. This was when the announcement about the creative team change was just announced. Here is the link: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=29707

As always, the whole interview is worth listening to, especially the stuff about how Spencer got to where he is in his career. As a kid I dreamed of writing comics so to hear about that path is always interesting.

The Supergirl stuff starts in the 9th minute for those who want to jump ahead. Here are some blurbs and comments.

Spencer starts out by describing Sterling Gates' run as 'amazing' and 'character defining'. I'd obviously agree. The one thing I can say is that Supergirl is a much more stable and established character since Gates took over. Prior to that it seemed like no one knew what to do with her. Now I understand who she is.

Spencer then says that with Gates' story done, it was time for a fresh look with the character. He describes his story as being a different sort of story ... told in the 'Loeb style' with lots of guest stars. He also says this is the first true superhero story he has written.

I have to say I was sort of dismayed a bit by this. I don't know if I like the 'Loeb style'. And too many guest stars was something I felt was wrong with the book at it's outset. The more time devoted to guest stars, the less time we see Supergirl.




But the rest of the interview bolstered my optimism a bit.

Spencer talks about how she isn't Superman, putting on the same costume and simply doing what he would do. He talks about how this story has Supergirl looking for her place in the world, who she is.

Gates and Igle did a great job in having Kara discover who she is.That story has been told. Supergirl knows who she is.

Given that this is a big action piece with lots of teen superheroes, my guess is this story is more about Supergirl discovering who she is in the context of the rest of the DCU. Who is she in the super-hero community? Is she the Superman for her generation? Does she inspire that sort of respect and admiration? Or is she still striving for that.




Spencer finishes up by talking about how this story is a big conflict with a new villain coming from the Geoff Johns/Francis Manapul Adventure run. It has to be this Luthor/Brainiac clone seen at the end of Adventure Comics #6.

So overall, this interview adds some information about Spencer's story and his thoughts on Kara. I think this added to my guarded optimism. One thing I don't like is that we haven't heard about Spencer's thoughts long-term about the title. Remember when Gates was announced and talked about all he wanted to accomplish while on the title. Here Spencer only seems to be thinking about this first arc. What is the plan after this big conflict?

Supergirl #60, the first of the Spencer/Chang era is scheduled to be released on January 19, 2011.

7 comments:

mathematicscore said...

Yeah, this got me excited. I will be collecting his run as well.

Gene said...

Spencer's upcoming run sounds promising, but I don't want Supergirl's title to be a revolving door of guest stars.

BTW, do we know yet what projects Sterling Gates and Jamal Igle will be working on next?

Anonymous said...

With all due respect, we've had over a year of guest stars (Superman, Alura, Zor El, hundreds of thousands of Kandorians, Zod, the JLA etc etc) and plotlines-imposed-from-without stories.
Just how many more guest stars can this title take??
And what are they supposed to do for Supergirl that all those other guest stars could not do??
John Feer

Anj said...

Spencer's upcoming run sounds promising, but I don't want Supergirl's title to be a revolving door of guest stars.

BTW, do we know yet what projects Sterling Gates and Jamal Igle will be working on next?


I agree that the guest stars sort of worries me. But this at least sounds like they are part of the story rather than haphazard like early issues in the run.

And still no official word on the next projects for either Gates or Igle. But I'm waiting!

Anj said...

Just how many more guest stars can this title take??
And what are they supposed to do for Supergirl that all those other guest stars could not do??


I understand this feeling so much. I feel it too! The guest star complaint was something I had back when Gates was first announced.

But this story sounds a little different (although I am conjecturing here). What if all those teen guest stars are being led by Supergirl. What is she is rallying them behind her? Or rescuing them? That I could deal with.

It is on my mind ... I am just trying to be optimistic.

Martin Gray said...

Good call on the villain. Wonder if it's a lady clone. Briannac?

valerie21601 said...

I just hope it isn't XTC (in a bad way). Spencer says she will eventually effect the ENTIRE DC universe.