Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Supergirl Sighting In JSA All-Stars #17; Variant Costume


One of the fistful of comics I currently collect nearing cancellation is JSA All-Stars.

All-Stars has always been a sort of fringe title for me, one that I enjoy just enough to keep buying. I definitely like Power Girl, Star Girl, and Cyclone as characters. But I could not care less for Wildcat 2, Citizen Steel, or King Chimera. On the JSA side, I love Wildcat, Jay Garrick, and Dr. Fate.

Matt Sturges has concocted some fun stories for the All-Stars and I have enjoyed the down time scenes he has written for the team such as sparring, training, and having strategy meetings. But the big draw for me on the title and really the reason why I have stuck around has been Freddie Williams III's art. I just think it is great, stylish and energetic.

So how could I not post about a brief Supergirl sighting in JSA All-Stars #17?


In the issue, a super-being called The Prince tries to convince Power Girl that he comes from an alternate timeline. In the other timeline, the greatest hero was someone named Regal who led the Justice Guild and made a perfect world. A villain named Dr. Hate, the Prince's mother and Regal's mortal enemy and lover, has changed history such that Regal never existed, the Guild never eradicated evil, etc.

The Prince is sad because he is stuck in this absolutely flawed world when he knew the paradise of the Regal-led world. In that timeline, he and Power Girl were friends, he was married to Judomaster, and everyone was on this massive super-hero team that looks like a mix of the JLA, JSA, Titans, and a couple of others. It is nice that most of his discussion about his predicament is with Power Girl who actually might understand his feelings and simply wants the Prince to relax so they can talk.

Anyways, Freddie Williams III gives us this great double page spread of this mega-team. Just spectacular stuff. And look on the top left.


Yep, that's Supergirl on the team! And in a different costume. It is a sort of mix of Silver Age (blue dress) and Matrix (pointy belt). One thing I do know, if I ever run into Freddie Williams III at a convention, I am definitely getting a commission.

And as a fan of the Matrix costume and the red dress, I actually thought this looked very nice.

Another thing that I think is interesting is how this costume (full shirt and blue dress) or some close version of it keeps popping up here and there. Could the belly shirt be on the way out?


Just a couple of months ago I showed this panel from Red Robin #19 where Marcus To had the Supergirl avatar in the UnterNet leading an future JLA and dressed like this.



Or this one I posted from Titans #30 by Fabrizio Fiorentino? This is, in theory, in continuity.


And then there was this version from Supergirl #32 by Ron Randall ... again, a Supergirl from the future.Yes, there is no belt here and the cape is different, clasping on to the S-shield but the full blue dress is similar.


And while those are all timeline twisted or future versions of Supergirl sporting the full shirt and blue dress, the current Kara has at least thought about it. Remember this great panel from Final Crisis #3 where we got a look into Supergirl's apartment. Here she seems to be designing new versions of the costume.



There in the lower left is a very rough sketch of the solid blue dress.

I doubt that any costume change is going to happen any time soon. But it is interesting that we keep seeing this particular motif pop up every so often. After being a staunch supporter of the red skirt, I have to say the blue skirt look is growing on me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope the costume change happens. Either the blue dress or the movie/matrix costume. No belly shirt/no shorts cut under the skirt is a much better compromise than shorts under skirt and some of the other stuff they tried.

Gustavo Delamarques said...

HELLO! I LOVED THE NEW UNIFORM THE SUPERGIRL IS A DECENT STANDARD OF A HEROIN, AN EVEN MORE DECENT, I AM THE MODES STYLIST, I HAVE A DRAWING OF A UNIFORM READY IN 3-D OF SUPERGIRL, IN THIS GROUP ON FACEBOOK "ARGO CITY"

Anonymous said...

Personally, the blue skirt's growing on me, too. but I miss the red one! -ealperin