Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Bombshell Book


I am impressed with DC's attempts to broaden the scope of their comic landscape in this post-Convergence world. We heard of Prez, Bat-Mite, and Black Canary. We heard that good stories will trump continuity. And we have seen books geared for different audience types.

Last week we heard about the latest digital first book, one based on the Bombshell line of merchandise. Here is a link covering the announcement: http://www.comicosity.com/dc-comics-launches-bombshells-title-new-products-this-fall/

And here is the blurb:
DC COMICS BOMBSHELLS will join the Digital First comic line-up with a new ongoing series. Digital chapters will be available starting in July with the first print collection available August 12. Written by Marguerite Bennett and art by Marguerite Sauvage, DC COMICS BOMBSHELLS #1 introduces retro-bombshell versions of Batwoman, Wonder Woman and Supergirl in an alternate reality where super-powered female heroes are on the front lines in WWII! The full line of Bombshells characters will be introduced as the story unfolds in the months ahead.

We saw DC do something similar with the Ame Comi girls book. I was intrigued by that book and bought it. I think the Bombshell designs are superior to Ame Comi so I am definitely in. I especially like the Wonder Woman and Batwoman designs, so glad they are two of the stars. And while I don't like the Supergirl design, it doesn't hurt that she is one of the headliners.

Add to that a perfect creative team of Marguerite Bennett and Marguerite Sauvage and how could I say no.

I can only hope that Supergirl gets treated a little better here than she did in the Ame Comi books. I liked that book but poor Supergirl. She was treated pretty shabbily.

And between this and JLA 3001, I wonder if this is what Dan Didio meant when he said there were plans for Supergirl in the summer.

This Bombshell line seems to be a goldmine. Statues, posters, shirts, glasses. And DC is ratcheting up the publicity, doing another month of Bombshell variants the month before the release. Here is a link:
http://www.newsarama.com/24522-dc-s-bombshells-return-for-second-themed-variant-month-in-august-new-series.html 

Interesting that this time it includes some guy characters in zoot suits! Here are a couple that grabbed my attention.


Here is Superman #43 by Des Taylor. Supergirl on a war bond poster! Sold!


And here is a gorgeous cover for Justice League #43 by Emanuela Lupacchino.

That is just beautiful. That needs to be a poster or a shirt. Just stunning.

I'll be in for the print version!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do hope supergirl gets her own book back in September

Anonymous said...

Sigh.... at first I was so excited to see this, then they reveal Marguerite Bennett is on the book, and that's basically killed all my excitement. Could still be good, but my hopes are not high.

Anonymous said...

Hate to comment on something trivial, but I hate those white stockings on Supergirl they look very out of place...besides nylon was rationed during WW2.

Anonymous said...

Des Taylor is perfect for the Superman 43 cover, he specializes in retro-look Supergirl.

Anonymous said...

So was this thier big plan for supergirl for july like they mentioned way back? I was hoping something within the main universe.

other than that complain I am excited for this bombshell series. Loved that supergirl headlineing the dc supergeto girls and bombshells. She is like the go to girl for thier girl related stuff.

I wonder if they r pushing the comicbook solo to novrmber instead of september.

Anj said...

Thanks for comments.
I am not a big fan of Supergirls costume, including the white stockings.

I hope this isnt the only project with Supergirl, as promised by Didio.

And I also hope that it is a November reveal for a solo book too. Makes sense.