Monday, September 14, 2015

Fire & Water Podcast Guest Appearance

I have been a fan of the Fire and Water Podcast for a while now, listening to Rob (of Aquaman Shrine fame)  and Shag (of Firestorm Fan fame) discuss Aquaman, Firestorm, Who's Who comics, and comics in general. That show is sort of my Monday morning ritual, listening to them banter while I sip my coffee in my office and start my work week.

So I was thrilled to be asked by Rob to appear on the show as a guest. Today Fire and Water Episode 140 drops, discussing a story from 1989's Christmas with the Super-Heroes #2, a story written by Alan Brennert and drawn by Dick Giordano. This is the famous Deadman story 'Should Auld Acquaintance Be Forgot', a story with a famous secret guest star.

Head over to Firestorm Fan, Aquaman Shrine, and Tumblr  to see posts about this particular show and to listen.

I can't t thank Rob enough for asking me on to talk about this story and Supergirl in general.


This is a pretty famous (or infamous) story that I have already covered on this blog way back in 2010 here.

This book came out about a year after the Matrix Supergirl was introduced into the DCU. It also was a couple of months after we saw Matrix, shapeshifted into Superman, go insane and flee to outer space to try to find herself.

This was really a tough time for Supergirl fans. Not only had the original Supergirl been removed from continuity, completely forgotten but Matrix had come on board, gone nuts, and left. We had (at least at this point) a true imposter in the role. And it was going to get worse before it got better.

So this story was a complete treasure for Kara fans.


In the podcast, I talk about how I insert this panel into lectures I give trainees at the hospital (medical students, residents, and fellows). I, of course, insert trademarks and copyright information at the bottom of the slide.

I put this in lectures that are early in the academic year, when the trainees are realizing how hard their job is going to be and need a little inspiration. They are often fatigued and feeling unrecognized. So this panel is perfect.


This story was being showcased on podcast because TwoMorrows Back Issue magazine is doing a Supergirl centric issue (out this week) which includes Rob's interview with Alan Brennert. Here is a link! Go and buy it here at TWOMORROWS’ BACK ISSUE! - http://twomorrows.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=98_54&products_id=1210&zenid=7h10ejk34ml83ol190oo48qvr3

And thanks again to Rob for inviting me! Hopefully I held up my side of the show! Visit Rob, Shag, and the show's site here:

THE AQUAMAN SHRINE - http://www.aquamanshrine.net
FIRESTORM FAN - http://firestormfan.com
THE FIRE AND WATER TUMBLR - http://fireandwaterpodcast.tumblr.com

Fan the flames and ride the waves!! 

2 comments:

Martin Gray said...

Oh, you know how much I love this one, I can't wait to listen to you talk about it with Aqua-Rob!

You're doing it because it needs to be done...

And I'm so excited to hear that Kara gets into your lectures!

Anonymous said...

> I put this in lectures that are early in the academic year, when the trainees are realizing how hard their job is going to
> be and need a little inspiration. They are often fatigued and feeling unrecognized. So this panel is perfect.

The mental image of seeing that in a lecture on "why we do this" brought a smile to my face and warmed the cackles of my heart immensely.
And for the geeks in the crowd, I'm sure this is something that's just icing on the cake! And now that I think about it, seeing this
panel as a Motivational Poster -- with the appropriate TMs on it -- with the caption "Why We Do It. Enough Said..."


Regards