Saturday, October 1, 2016

Review: Supergirl and the Legion of Super-Heroes #33


I continue to review the Threeboot Supergirl and the Legion of Super-Heroes over on the Legion of Superbloggers. I am up to Supergirl and the LSH #33. Here is the link to the full review:
http://legionofsuperbloggers.blogspot.com/2016/09/threeboot-supergirl-and-legion-of-super_30.html

This is the third issue of the Tony Bedard era on the title and we are nearing the end of Supergirl's inclusion in the book. Once again, in this issue, we are on Winath with Star Boy, Sun Boy, and Mekt Ranzz investigating the Cult of Validus, the Lightning Lord.

This was a 'new' Legion with less 'hard and fast' continuity. And Tony Bedard, stepping in after Mark Waid, decided to take advantage of that, reimagining the idea of Validus, Tenzil Kem, and the culture of Winath.

But that's not all.

The issue ends with a cliffhanger ... a shot of Wildrfire!

Wildfire hadn't been seen in this Legion. He is my favorite Legionnaire and so I was thrilled to see this.

Still, there was a feeling of unease when I was reading this book when it came out. It felt like DC was trying to be daring here, trying to keep this book alive.

I will sound fatalistic but I think this book was almost destined to fail. One cannot serve two masters. Trying to bring in a new generation of Legion fans with a brand new Legion while also trying to court old fans married to continuity seems like a fool's errand in retrospect.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, it can be hard to balance the creation of a new Legion to bring in a new generation of fans with catering to the veteran fans.

Slightly off topic, since the Dominators will be the big enemy of the future DCTV-verse crossover, are you going to make a post about his origins and his ties to the Legion o Super-Heroes?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the continued review and insight into things Anj! I have to admit when I got to this section
I was in total WTF mode, especially for lack of backstory and history with the LSH. Also, I'm with you
I wanted to see more of what was going on with the other two teams sent out, especially given the lack
of Supergirl these last couple issues, but I guess it was Bedard's way of putting his own spin on things.

Also have to wonder what's up with Brainiac, especially the hints dropped before of his manipulation of
events, and (possible) psychosis.

Can't wait for the next issue, and CAN'T WAIT FOR Oct 10th!


Regards