Wednesday, December 14, 2016

DC: The Big Book Of Girl Power

I have been moseying in and out of shops lately, doing some in person Christmas shopping. I find it a bit 'old school' to actually be looking on the shelves for something special that is perfect for someone special. And when I don't know what to get someone, online shopping seems weird. Sometimes I just need to look on the shelves and see if something grabs me.

And it was while in a book store that I stumbled on DC The Big Book of Girl Power by Julie Merberg. And, luckily for me, a good friend has young children and I thought this would be a perfect gift.

The book itself is a nice look at DC female characters focusing on an aspect of their personality or power and delivering an empowering and uplifting message. Lucky for us, Supergirl is included. And not only that, she gets two pages!


I apologize for the blurry pictures.

The first Supergirl page has a great shot of Supergirl flying out of her crashed rocket, sporting my favorite costume (and one similar to the show) with a red skirt and full shirt. And this looks like Jose Luis Garcia Lopez pencil work.


The first text box talks of her crashing on Earth.

But I like that it says that Wonder Woman helped train her. While that is only canon in the Loeb/Turner incarnation, the idea that these two would work together is a great message.


And the next page showcases her powers. The main image is definitely a Garcia-Lopez character study. It is a great action shot of her smashing a boulder.


And there is a sort of generic list of her power.

The last statement says she uses her powers to protect Earth, her new home.


What I like about this is the breadth of heroes we learn about. There are pages with Hawkgirl, Mera, Raven, Bumblebee, Black Canary, Batgirl, and Katana. The ending splash page showcases them all. The internal pages look like the art was done by Scott Kolins on some pages.

There is a feeling of a bit of cross-promotion with DC Superhero Girls with Bumblebee and Katana earning pages. But overall this is a little Girl Power Who's Who for new readers. Maybe this is the entry drug for new comic fans.

It will make a wonderful holiday present for any young reader!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's really a very nice book.

I agree, it looks like García-López art. Funny how DC keeps reusing his awesome art after so many years.

I don't like that text box tells she was a baby when she arrived on Earth. She was a teenager. Why removing her unique traits?